Followers

Sunday

More musings ... Church

I've been attending my place of worship for several months now, after a long period of wandering in a spiritual wilderness trying to seek out a church home. Not quite 40 years but seems like that at times! I'm in no doubt that this is the place where God wants me to be and am constantly amazed at the timing of His Word to my heart. This morning's sermon 'The Triumph of the Righteous and those that love the Sabbath/House of God', was one such example. Will jot down some thoughts about that, later.

For now husband has taken the kids out ... a reprieve :) so I'm putting some thoughts to (cyber) paper which always seems to help - although it is in no way a substitute for getting down and praying for guidance and asking God to reveal Himself through the scriptures. It is good to 'talk' to other Christians though, albeit not in the traditional sense of the word.

As well as generally making a lot of mention of the 'Sabbath', my Minister teaches that when we meet, we are coming into God's house. When I started attending, if I'm totally honest, I really didn't know what to think about this.

A dear friend persuaded me a few years ago that the God did not dwell in a building made by hands and therefore the church was anywhere and everywhere where Christians were. I did find some of their other ideas difficult to accept though (NCT), and always felt that it was important to meet with other Christians in a visible setting. I assume that Timothy is making reference to a physical building as the church of God when he says ... 'but if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth'.

There is a lot I need to learn but I do know that I am being fed where I am.

It is not my intention to put a minister on a pedestal however, but today I just feel very blessed and thankful to God for this man and for the friend who recommended we visit this particular church, whose own sermons have been of immense blessing and benefit to us. Sunday has gone from a day of and disillusionment to an oasis and a much looked forward day. It certainly feels like the House of God. :)

What are your ideas on the Sabbath (more thoughts on my SA blog from yesterday) and what are your beliefs regarding church membership?

I'd love to hear

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Deb - I'm not sure if this is the right link I've sent you or not, and to be honest I have just sped-read it, but here goes. I hope it is of some help. I actually googled a book I have read a long time ago called 'I want to be a church member' by Eric Lane, but this link showed up. This is a good book, too. I have a copy here somewhere - you are welcome to borrow it if you like! (Spiritual Disciplines within the church - by Don Whitney)

http://biblicalspirituality.org/whyjoin.html

bee said...

hi naomi, haven't been back here for a wee while. these books sound very interesting. membership was my next question! i'll search for the first book over at the book depository and once i've read it, may borrow the other from you. just started reading elizabeth elliot at the minute. can't put it down! going to check your link out now :)

bee said...

well, the article on membership was very good and convincing/convicting and answered a lot of questions. i guess i'd developed a bit of a phobia in that regard and had formed a good few arguments in the past to convince myself it wasn't that important/biblical. listened to a CD a while back about Christ gathering in the lilies which really made me think.
can i ask what practical difference it makes to you being a member in your church as opposed to a non member? i get what the author is saying about the body, exercising of gifts, authority etc but just wondered with the different churches we've experienced here, the reality of it all. we were members of an 'assembly' for 2 or 3 years and didn't know anyone. at best everyone was doing their own thing and at worst were pulling apart. had been thinking of that during the woman's conference and the points of serving and so on.
rambling here so time to shut the computer down. brain ceases to function properly after 8pm :)

Post a Comment